[mythtv-users] anyone have AC3/DTS passthrough working with revo 1600?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jun 8 17:04:25 UTC 2010

Hi.

I have a Revo 1600 connected via HDMI to my TV and while I get typical
SD TV stereo sound to play (as PCM) I cannot get AC3/DTS passthrough to
work.

In the audio settings I have my Speakers Configuration set to 5.1 and I
have Digital Output Device set to ALSA:plughw:0,3 (which is the same for
Audio Output Device -- which works fine for PCM).  I also have the Dolby
Digital and DTS Audio Processing Capabilities enabled.

Now what is interesting is that I am pretty sure that the TV is
receiving the AC3 ok because there is a selector on the TV to choose how
to forward the signal out of the (TV's) SPDIF to the receiver and it has
the two choices PCM and Dolby Digital.  My experience has been that when
there is no digital sound available, the Dolby Digital option is greyed
out.  When I am playing a video from myth with an AC3 track, this option
is not greyed out.

But the problem is that the TV does not emit any sound from it's
built-in speakers, nor does the receiver register that it's receiving a
digital signal, or emit any sound from it's speakers.  It's almost as if
the AC3 is making it to the TV but it's muted.  Obviously I have checked
the mute settings on the TV.

I did search the archives about AC3/DTS passthrough on the HDMI and
found one thread about not ignoring EDID in the xorg.conf but I'm not
doing that.

For reference, here's my hardware settings:

# aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# aplay -L
null
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

# amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono: Playback 52 [81%] [-12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 52 [81%] [-12.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 52 [81%] [-12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: volume penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Front Left: 0 [0%]
  Front Right: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Beep',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-13.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-13.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 9 [29%] [0.00dB] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 9 [29%] [0.00dB] [off]

Thots?
b.