[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:13:53 UTC 2010

> Not that I wouldn't love a harmony remote, but is it really needed if
> you have a remote for your amp? I have an Onkyo home theater receiver
> with the supplied "universal" remote. All I did was use the default
> DVD remote assignment (presumably a Onkyo DVD player) of the remote
> and programmed lirc to use it. One thing I like about that is that
> almost all of the buttons are assignable but the volume control stays
> with the AMP.
>
> Richard

There are many solutions to controlling multiple devices; however, the
Harmony remote is a very elegant solution as it has many programmable and
"soft" buttons that you can label to your heart's content (for custom Myth
functions/jump points).  The beauty of the volume control is that you can
program the harmony to tell which device the volume buttons will operate and
this can change as you switch devices (TV vs Myth vs DVD vs STB etc.).

But, to each his own.  I just threw it out there because I only found out
about the Harmony when some other posters mentioned it.  The other members
of my family enjoy not having to find/fumble with multiple remotes to
control volume and function.

Regards,

Ken E.