[mythtv-users] mythbuntu?

lonestar17 lonestar17 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 2 21:47:49 UTC 2010

On 7/2/2010 4:18 PM, Mark Boyum wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM, lonestar17<lonestar17 at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>   WAs looking into using mythbuntu, since it's in the repositories in my
>> 10.04 distro...SOOO I installed them!  Big mistake, apparently..Now i have
>> NO gnome/ubuntu desktop?
>>   Did mythbuntu take over my working distro of 10.04?
>> Upon starting, all I get is mythbuntu splash screen - instead of the
>> original ubuntu screen..
>> I can't do anything!!  Just a black screen with a tiny line on top with 24
>> hr clock???
>> What has happened, here?  Is my ubuntu distro destroyed?  Can I get it back
>> with the recovery segment in grub start menue?
>>   Thanks for help/suggestions.
>>   John in Dallas.
>>

> Your Ubuntu is not destroyed.  It sound's like you've installed all of
> the MythBuntu packages.  You should be able to find the MythBuntu
> Control Center application in the Administration menu.  I don't
> install the MythBuntu-Desktop so I don't know exactly where it is in
> your menu, but it should be there.  From the MCC you should be able to
> select "Ubuntu Desktop" and unselect the other two to return to a
> normal looking GNOME installation.
>
> You may need to make other tweaks, but that should get you started.
> -Mark

Hi-Mark,
   Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.  BUT - I can't get to any
desktop, system, admin menues...
I can get to a cmd prompt but that runs me around in circles from login
in to ~$ prompt!!?  I don't know what that means.
   There should be prompt cmds that will get my desktop back, right?
Thanks for your help.
John in Dallas.