[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Fri Jan 29 00:17:23 UTC 2010

Jim Morton wrote:
> Hope I'm not too late for the party :)
>
> This may be more of a feature request than what you are looking for
> but here goes anyway.
>
> I don't know if this exists anywhere. I think it is my original idea
> but you know how that is. If I thought of it someone else probably
> beat me to it and may have written a program to do just this.
>
> In addition to the general idea of playlists I'd like to see
> non-playlists or a blacklists. When one is selected it would play
> everything else in the music library. To take that one step further,
> if a song is playing that one doesn't like, one could hit X (or some
> key) and it is added to the current blacklist and skips to the next song.
>
> This would work for a lot of people simply because everyone knows what
> is objectionable to them. The music tastes in my house are quite
> eclectic. There is a lot of music out there that that is good that I
> have never heard. I would never add those songs to a playlist because
> I wouldn't know to. Or those songs I like but don't know the name of.
> They never seem to make it my playlist either. Another benefit is this
> would automatically include new music library entries with no action
> on my part (other than ripping.)
>
> If this is not feasible in Mythmusic then maybe a utility that could
> build a playlist based on everything that is not on a blacklist. If it
> could be run on demand then it could be updated after a rip. Although
> I think the ability to blacklist a song while playing is probably the
> key feature.

This is a good idea. To go a little further when I listen to music in
general I tend to either want a collection of genre to be played (as
opposed to a specific genre) or alternatively play everything except
this group of genres.

Perhaps if we had the ability to add genre to a playlist without
expanding the entire list of tracks in the playlist for a genre.
Similarly if the idea of a blacklist (or thumbs up/down) is created
allowing genre to be included would be very nice.