[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 02:46:59 UTC 2010

On 01/26/2010 02:11 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
> Marc Randolph wrote:
> Hope I'm not too late for the party :)
>
> This may be more of a feature request than what you are looking for
> but here goes anyway.
>
> I don't know if this exists anywhere. I think it is my original idea
> but you know how that is. If I thought of it someone else probably
> beat me to it and may have written a program to do just this.
>
> In addition to the general idea of playlists I'd like to see
> non-playlists or a blacklists. When one is selected it would play
> everything else in the music library. To take that one step further,
> if a song is playing that one doesn't like, one could hit X (or some
> key) and it is added to the current blacklist and skips to the next song.
>
> This would work for a lot of people simply because everyone knows what
> is objectionable to them. The music tastes in my house are quite
> eclectic. There is a lot of music out there that that is good that I
> have never heard. I would never add those songs to a playlist because
> I wouldn't know to. Or those songs I like but don't know the name of.
> They never seem to make it my playlist either. Another benefit is this
> would automatically include new music library entries with no action
> on my part (other than ripping.)
>
> If this is not feasible in Mythmusic then maybe a utility that could
> build a playlist based on everything that is not on a blacklist. If it
> could be run on demand then it could be updated after a rip. Although
> I think the ability to blacklist a song while playing is probably the
> key feature.

That's why I've almost completely stopped using my local music
collection and now rely upon Pandora (or one of its cousins).  The
choices of Thumb Up (favorite, play more often), Thumb Down (blacklist),
I'm Bored (don't play this song for a month), and Move (this song to
another station/playlist) are ideal for how I like to listen.

I'd be very happy if I had similar controls for my local collection
while it is playing, rather than needing to run a separate playlist editor.

-BobC