[mythtv-users] mysqlrepair all tables on startup

Glenn B. Lawler gblawler at incodesystems.com
Thu Jan 28 00:42:21 UTC 2010

>What you ask has nothing to do with mythtv, and doesn't belong on this
>mailing list.  That said, under Gentoo, '/etc/init.d/local' is used for
>general purpose commands, and runs the '/etc/conf.d/local.start' and
>'/etc/conf.d/local.stop' scripts.

You are right. I realize now this belongs on a Gentoo list.
Thanks for answering anyway. That is exactly what I need.

>Now what you really should be asking is why do you need to repair your
>tables on every reboot.  If your system is unstable, that should be
>fixed, rather than trying to work around some mysql issues as a result.
>If you have power issues that cause your system to shut down, you should
>invest in a UPS.

The system is very stable, in fact it usually runs months without
reboot. The thing that prompted this question is that we had about
a 5 hour power failure last week which resulted in a mysql corruption.
In the past I have run: mysqlrepair --all-databases
with good results. This time, it didn't help and I found later that
some of the tables were corrupted to the point that they were not
included in the table list processed by --all-databases. I had to dig
around to find the complete list of tables. Compared that to the list
put out by --all-databases and manually repair the individual tables
that were missing. I noticed when I did this that the whole process
only took less than a minute.

I have a UPS, but it does not survive more than about a 20 minute
power outage. Our experience around here is that when we get an outage
it is rarely less than 2 hours. So, unless I happen to be home when
the power goes out, the UPS does absolutely no good unless I get a
UPS that can signal the computer to do a shutdown. The one I have is
not capable anyway.

Thanks again for the help.