[mythtv-users] SA STB Chanel Changers info

steve networks1 at cox.net
Thu Jan 28 00:39:21 UTC 2010

I had a couple of earlier threads dealing with channel changers for
Scientific Atlanta STBs.  I thought I would post some follow up info here
for anyone else trying to get these boxes to work.  My initial problem was
that nothing would work with the SA4240HDC.

I gave up and swapped boxes between MythTV and another set I had in my
bedroom, a SA3250HD.  The sa3250ch.c program provided with the myth distro
worked with this box.  However I had a problem that on reboot it would not
function until I unplugged and replugged the firewire cable (thus resetting
the firewire bus).

I posted on the linux-1394-users list about this.  Stefan Richter replied
and said "This is strange. From a quick look at sa3250ch.c, it seems to
contain
all necessary code to ensure that it directs its request to the right
target. So I'm not sure what is going wrong."  But as a workaround he
suggested using an app called firecontrol (which can be installed via yum)
to do a software firewire bus reset instead of mechanically
unplugging/replugging the cable.  I pass this along in case anyone has the
same problem and wants to try this in a startup script or something.

Meanwhile Christian Szpilfogel pointed me to this software
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot?action=AttachFile
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=mythcha
nger.10f.beta.tar> &do=view&target=mythchanger.10f.beta.tar as an option for
the SA4240HDC.  I just tried this and it works great, so now I have
re-swapped the STBs and don't have to worry about the bus reset thing.

I thought I would pass on some Fedora specific info about the required
libraries to supplement the README that comes with the software (which is
specific to Ubuntu, I think).

The README says you need to install a package called build-essential, but
that package is not available for Fedora.  For the same functionality just
make sure you have packages make and gcc installed.

The README also lists three libraries that need to be installed.  On Fedora
repositories these are named

libraw1394-devel

libiec61883-devel

libavc1394-devel