[mythtv-users] Advice on using an RF remote?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 18:46:54 UTC 2010

I have a couple of Zotac IONITX based frontends that I would like to
power-down (suspend) when not in use.  I don't really want to use
wake-on-USB with the IR receiver because of the known issues with the
early IONITX boards, and also because I often see the IR receiver
picking up stray signals which would presumably wake up the frontend.

I'm thinking of setting up a universal IR/RF remote to control things.
 The IR part is needed for controlling the TV.  The RF part would
involve an RF receiver on the always-on master backend, which would be
able to remotely suspend the frontends, resume them with wake-on-LAN,
and use NetworkControls to send keypresses to mythfrontend.

Has anyone done something like this?  Any gotchas?  Any
recommendations for RF receiver hardware that works with LIRC?

Jim