[mythtv-users] something's missing

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 25 17:20:23 UTC 2010

On 02/25/2010 12:03 AM, sharifah ummu kulthum wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:56 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:

>         Or does my problem got to do with my antenna. Do I have to have
>         a good
>         antenna to make sure it scans for channels?
>

>     Well can you run a feed from your antenna to a TV and see what you
>     get? Even if it is only ONE channel, it will show whether your setup
>     is correct. THEN you can worry about a better antenna to get some
>     more channels.
>
>     Geoff

> Run a feed to a TV and see what you get? Meaning?

Physically connect the end of the wire (parallel flat 300 ohm or coax
cable plus impedance transformer) directly to the antenna input of your
tv (or possibly a direct coax input). Make sure that your antenna is
pointed in the direction of the nearest/strongest TV station. Set the TV
to analog tuner and test every channel. (Although I think you only have
about 5 possibles).

If you get a watchable picture on some channels, then you know that the
antenna works.....ergo your tuner should tune at least those channels.

Look up (google) the frequency/channel number pairs for those channels
in PAL-BG. I cannot remember what I used, but I found a site last night
which listed the TV formats for basically every country in the world.

The installer zip file for your tuner said to do this, to watch TV:

To watch PAL TV programs, for example, please do the following:

         $ mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1:audiorate=48000:forceaudio:volume=100:immediatemode=0:normid=0:freq=147250:outfmt=YUY2

You will need to insert the proper frequency for the channel you want to
watch.
If you don't mind doing some scripting you can even write a little
script called 'play-channel' which you call with 'play-channel 6' or
'play-channel 9' where the script uses an if-else using $1 (the 6 or 9)
to select the correct line to call (you have one 'mplayer' line for each
possible channel..quick and dirty).

At this stage, since you have been thrashing around with a multitude of
problems (and possibly trying to fix them out of order!), you might want
to step back and for the moment try something else. Download and try the
MyRTv progam I linked to, or download the Win program and see what the
AverMedia windows program shows you. It *appears* that things should
work. The problem is that analog scanning has been removed from .22 (I
didn't know that!).

One route suggested elsewhere is to wipe out your install, and install
.21 instead. Use it to scan. Then upgrade, keeping the database info.

Another is to use one of the methods given above, and enter the
information into the channel table directly in mysql. The format of the
table is given at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_table
and entering the information for 4 or 5 channels would not be difficult
using mysql. You actually only need to provide 3 or 4 pieces of
information, of which only freqid (the channel frequency) and xmltvid
(how your grabber defines the channel) are critical. The other channel
defining items are actually arbitrary within the setup (and should be
unique).

Geoff