[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:39:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Yaron <mythusers at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>  There's nothing stopping you, or anyone, from adding a simple "Play using
>> external player" option to the MENU on a

>  That's the beauty of open source.
>>

> No, that's the PROBLEM with Open Source.
>
> For 90% of the population, "Fix The Source Code" is NOT a solution. And
> this is coming form someone who HAS in the past hacked his own patches into
> MythTV (as well as many other open source programs).
>
> When you give this kind of answer, you're implying that people shouldn't
> bother asking questions and should just fix stuff themselves and quit
> bothering people. That's how you lose users and acceptance.

You had that answer with the first reply from what I gather.  The rest is a
continued discussion about why the answer wasn't good enough.  I was simply
offering up the other alternative that if this is an issue that will keep
coming up over and over again (as indicated by some in this thread) that a
simple patch that could relatively easily be maintained across revisions
could easily be made.  If it is such a pain point for so many people, it
seems logical that someone would be able to produce such a fix.  If not,
then your workaround and the others suggested here would have to be good
enough.

BTW, you would have no options such as these using non open source products.

Kevin