[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Feb 23 21:07:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Yaron <mythusers at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> When you give this kind of answer, you're implying that people shouldn't
> bother asking questions and should just fix stuff themselves and quit
> bothering people. That's how you lose users and acceptance.

You seem to be suggesting that not losing users and acceptance is some
sort of goal the developers have.  I think they have been pretty clear
since day one - they are building something that they find useful, and
you're welcome to use the software if you like and improve it if
something bothers you.  They are not a business, and notions such as
"growing the user base" have never been a stated goal.

Unless you're cutting them a check, nobody is really in a position to
decide for the developers what they should be working on.  They will
continue to work on the areas that interest them, and if there is
something that bothers you or interests you, then feel free to
contribute patches.

It's not a "problem with open source".  They are developers who are
working on something that interests them and sharing their work.  Open
source does not mean "free slave labor to do whatever I think is
important".

The upside is that if it *really* matters to you then you are
empowered to fix it yourself or pay someone else to do the work (which
is something you usually cannot do with closed source).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com