[mythtv-users] Set bookmark on pause

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:15:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2010 12:05 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

[snip]

> That sounds like a good idea.  I'm planning a rework of bookmarks to
> allow multiple bookmarks per recording (with a nice bookmark select
> dialog complete with thumbnails available for selection).
>
> When I work on it, I'll plan to include automatic bookmarks at pause
> (with names something like, "Pause bookmark (Jan 16, 2010, 12:50)," or
> whatever.
>
> With the current "one bookmark per video" approach, it would require a
> new setting to get permission to overwrite bookmarks just because of
> pause, so I'd prefer we not put such a feature in SVN.  (Though it
> wouldn't be difficult for you to modify your local copy--and feel free
> to post a patch here for others to use.)
>
> Mike

I don't mean to sound like I'm requesting features, but hopefully this
has been considered. Maybe it's already an option I just don't know
about it.
I currently use the feature to set a bookmark on exit. It's great so
that I can exit a recording, come back tomorrow and pick up where I
left off. The problem is, if there's credits at the end that I don't
watch, when I exit the recording, a bookmark is set at the end of the
recording. If I want to watch it again, or someone else who is not as
myth-savvy wants to watch the recording, they need to rewind all the
way to the beginning.
I'd like it to just leave the previous bookmark if the current
position is within a certain time of the end of the recording. It
seems that the same code that detects whether a recording has been
"watched" would be usable for this same kind of detection.

--Justin Johnson