[mythtv-users] Another "moving backend / restoring database" thread

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Sun Feb 21 10:50:21 UTC 2010

>> Here's my plan of action:-
>>
>> 1) Stop both mythbackends
>> 2) Backup both databases (old and new.)
>> 3) Unmount my recordings partition on my old backend (/var/media)
>> 4) Drop the database on the new backend: mysql -uroot -p -e 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;'
>> 5) Create a new database on the new backend: mysql -uroot -p<  database/mc.sql
>> 6) Reset the MySQL mythtv user's password to that configured by Mythbuntu in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>> 7) Restore the old database to the new box:- mythconverg_restore.pl
>> 8) Change the hostname in the new database:- mythconverg_restore.pl --change_hostname --old_hostname="XXXX" --new_hostname="YYYY"
>> 9) Mount my recordings partition on my new backend (/var/lib/mythtv)
>> 10) Run mythtv-setup on the new backend to reset (e.g. recordings) locations, delete and recreate tuners, delete and rescan channels
>> 11) Start mythbackend on new box
>> 12) Re-run my grabber (shepherd) and reconfigure it.
>>
>> Does this plan sound correct? Am I likely to carry over any character set problems? Anything I've missed?

Just an update on this - I followed the process above and it all went very smoothly. The only problem was that I couldn't find the backup and restore scripts on my Mythbuntu 9.10 install and had to download them from SVN. Other than that, it probably took about half an hour. I didn't need to reconfigure my grabber, so I just re-ran it to update the listings.

Cheers,

Jon