[mythtv-users] Improved playback groups

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 00:47:31 UTC 2010

For those people running trunk, you may have noticed ticket #8088
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8088), which could be described as
"playback groups on steroids".  This makes it so that almost all
playback-related settings can be controlled through a playback group,
and in such a way that new playback-related settings can also be
easily added to playback groups.  This is a feature request that comes
up fairly often on this list.  I personally use the enhancement to
turn off closed captions for children's shows and to disable the
end-of-recording prompt that allows accidental deletion, and also to
automatically set a different fill mode for some shows.

I would really appreciate extra testing and feedback from people who
are interested and capable of trying this out.  There are like 50-60
settings that can be controlled, and obviously I haven't tested all of
them, plus the UI isn't fully satisfying.

Here is a little more information, copied from the ticket:

This patch hugely increases the capabilities of Playback Groups.  Most
settings related to playback can now be controlled through playback
groups.  This includes settings like fill mode, captions, playback
profile (VDPAU, Slim, etc.), aspect ratio, behavior on exit, OSD
properties, and so on.

Another nice property is that since playback groups are globally
shared across all frontends, you can set up your preferences in the
Default group and not have to change settings on each individual
frontend.  This is especially useful when bringing up a new frontend.

Oh yeah, and the setup reuses existing setup pages, so it basically
adds NO NEW SETTINGS!  HOORAY!!!

Thanks,

Jim