[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend delay/freeze for about 2-3 minutes about 15-25 seconds after starting.

Dave Day dday at sc.rr.com
Sat Feb 20 19:44:36 UTC 2010

Over the last couple months I have converted the family over
to MythTV and we are very happy with it.  Watching the
olympics on OTA ATSC hi-def has been a real pleasure.

I am using a Hauppauge 1600 for S-video output from our SA
4250HDC and I installed an antenna/rotor in the attic for
ATSC.  Both are working well and right now the system is
recording two shows simultaneously, one college basketball
game and a home how-to show.

I do still have a number of loose ends to deal with.  I'll
just ask about one at this time.

The combined back/front end in the family room is an HP8120N
(2.4GHz quad processor) with 2GB memory and 3 320GB SATA
drives.  I change channels on the STB via firewire.

Now to the question:

When I first started on this project I used the latest
MythBuntu to keep things simple while I learned.  At some
point during my work with it, I did something, I don't know
what, to cause the frontend to freeze for a few minutes
shortly after start up.  The front end would become
completely un responsive.  Then after about 2 minutes, the
main screen would either disappear, leaving only the blue
background of the MythCenter Wide template and then be
replaced by the screen representing the MythGallery plugin
or the MythGallery screen would be placed behind the main
Myth Menu as though the main menu was transparent.  After
another minute or so the screen would blank again and at
that point the frontend would unfreeze and I could hit a key
and the menus would come back and I could continue using the
system as though nothing had happened.

I didn't worry about this at the time because I never
intended to stick with MythBuntu and new I would be
switching the system over to Gentoo once I had enough
competence with Myth to be comfortable.

So after I was fairly comfortable with Myth I wiped the
system clean and did a new Gentoo install including Myth and
its requirements.  Sad to say, though, I must have done the
same thing again with Gentoo at some point because after a
few days the system started acting in an identical fashion
again.

I really have no idea what is wrong.  This is not a family
friendly behavior though and I would like to get it fixed
before I have to start training the rest of the crew on how
to run MythTV.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave