[mythtv-users] OT: anyone using any2dvd??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 20 16:20:54 UTC 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010 08:20:37 am Harry Devine wrote:

> Does Devede let you grab Myth's .nuv file to make a DVD?  I ended up
> commenting out the any2dvd script where it was looking for the
> GNU-Ghostscript fonts, but I don't think its working.  The script has
> been running for close to 36 hours now and its still going.  I have a
> feeling it won't work.  So, Mytharchive isn't working for me, and now
> any2dvd is apparently out.  So I thought I'd try Devede since you'd
> suggested it.

I don't have any .nuv files from my Myth systems, I have mpeg files from PVR
cards. .NUV files are getting rarer on Myth systems:

"The default file format for software encoding is a RTJPEG or MPEG-4 video
stored in a slightly-modified version of Roman Hochleitner's NuppelVideo (.nuv)
container. NUV files are also playable in VLC media player and MPlayer, but can
occasionally exhibit problems in A/V synchronization due to the MythTV-specific
modifications. It also appears that MythTV is now the single authority on the
NuppelVideo file format, since the original author's website has been deleted.

"MythTV can also record via hardware-encoder cards and other sources of MPEG-2
digital TV streams like DVB, ATSC and Firewire (from HDTV cable boxes in the
United States), so many users of MythTV rarely see NuppelVideo files unless
they choose to transcode their files to NuppelVideo to save disk space. In
earlier releases, such files were labeled as .nuv, even though they were raw
MPEG streams; this has been corrected in recent releases."

(From WikiPedia)

Are you using software encoding? Any HD would be in an mpeg container it seems
to me.

Am I missing something? Mytharchive always worked for me on an older 0.20
system, using PVR recordings.

Since devede uses mplayer/mencoder, I would expect it to work with any .nuv
files from Myth, with the possible A/V sync problems mentioned above.

So how are you getting your .nuv files? Software encoding with an older system?
Or am I confused here (again)?