[mythtv-users] OT: anyone using any2dvd??

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 16:41:58 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 20 February 2010 08:20:37 am Harry Devine wrote:
>

>> Does Devede let you grab Myth's .nuv file to make a DVD?  I ended up
>> commenting out the any2dvd script where it was looking for the
>> GNU-Ghostscript fonts, but I don't think its working.  The script has
>> been running for close to 36 hours now and its still going.  I have a
>> feeling it won't work.  So, Mytharchive isn't working for me, and now
>> any2dvd is apparently out.  So I thought I'd try Devede since you'd
>> suggested it.
>>

> I don't have any .nuv files from my Myth systems, I have mpeg files from PVR
> cards. .NUV files are getting rarer on Myth systems:
>
> "The default file format for software encoding is a RTJPEG or MPEG-4 video
> stored in a slightly-modified version of Roman Hochleitner's NuppelVideo (.nuv)
> container. NUV files are also playable in VLC media player and MPlayer, but can
> occasionally exhibit problems in A/V synchronization due to the MythTV-specific
> modifications. It also appears that MythTV is now the single authority on the
> NuppelVideo file format, since the original author's website has been deleted.
>
> "MythTV can also record via hardware-encoder cards and other sources of MPEG-2
> digital TV streams like DVB, ATSC and Firewire (from HDTV cable boxes in the
> United States), so many users of MythTV rarely see NuppelVideo files unless
> they choose to transcode their files to NuppelVideo to save disk space. In
> earlier releases, such files were labeled as .nuv, even though they were raw
> MPEG streams; this has been corrected in recent releases."
>
> (From WikiPedia)
>

> Are you using software encoding? Any HD would be in an mpeg container it seems
> to me.
>
> Am I missing something? Mytharchive always worked for me on an older 0.20
> system, using PVR recordings.
>
> Since devede uses mplayer/mencoder, I would expect it to work with any .nuv
> files from Myth, with the possible A/V sync problems mentioned above.
>
> So how are you getting your .nuv files? Software encoding with an older system?
> Or am I confused here (again)?

I'm quite sure I'M the one confused! LOL!  I setup all of my recordings
via Mythweb, and I always use the "Default" profile under Recording
Profile.  That profile is set to RTjpeg for the video codec and MP3 for
the audio codec.  Should RTjpeg NOT be used?  I've never changed any of
those.  This is all under "Software Encoders (v4l based).

Can I assume that since the HDHR and HD-PVR recordings seem to be MPeg
file that they use a different codec/encoder that keeps them as mpgs?
I'm sort of thinking that this is most likely my issue.  If it is, how
can I convert my recordings that I want to archive over from nuv to mpg?

Thanks,
Harry