[mythtv-users] mythfrontend/mythwelcome locking up after prolonged use

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Fri Feb 19 18:55:12 UTC 2010

Ian Clark wrote:

> On 18 February 2010 18:37, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com
> <mailto:mythtv at sky.com>> wrote:
>
>     [snip]
>
>     If you could run mythwelcome under valgrind that would be very
>     useful to
>     see where the leak is otherwise you will just have to be patient and
>     wait for me to find time to track down the problem.
>
> I ran:
>
> valgrind --log-file=valgrind_mythwelcome.log --leak-check=full
> --show-reachable=yes mythwelcome
>
> To give:
>
>  http://thejolly.demon.co.uk/~ian/valgrind_mythwelcome.log.bz2
> <http://thejolly.demon.co.uk/%7Eian/valgrind_mythwelcome.log.bz2>
>
> HTH,
>
> Ian

OK, thanks for taking the time to produce the log. It does look like a
problem with the new MythSignalingTimer leaking memory when the main
thread in mythwelcome isn't running. I think it's because the
MythSignalingTimer is run in it's own thread and so continues to emit
signals even when the main thread isn't running and so the signals just
get queued up waiting for the main thread to resume.

So the fix looks like it would be to stop the MythSignalingTimer in
MythMainWindow when mythsystem() is used to start an external process
and resume it again when it finishes. I'll have a look at trying this
over the weekend.

Paul H.