[mythtv-users] New System - Looking for Feedback

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Wed Feb 10 04:57:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 08:31:21PM -0800, Matt W (mwood23 at gmail.com) wrote:

> I've been burned (ok not literally) by cheapie power supplies and even
> not-so-cheap ones.  Yes, I'm looking at you, Antec NEO 480.  But
> assuming you can get something like a 80+ or 85+ power supply and
> assuming a higher wattage rating means the components could last
> longer at a lesser load (yes, except you, Antec NEO)... isn't that a
> good move?  versus say, a lower quality 200W PS?

Quite possibly.

Anyway, there's a lot of variation in how well PSUs handle low loads.
One I've found good is Nexus Value 430, which chugs along happily
(and quietly!) at 20W load (that's not a mythtv box but good example,
as the machines' power consumption literally halved simply by
replacing the PSU).

--
Tapani Tarvainen