[mythtv-users] Securing mythweb

greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Feb 9 16:00:48 UTC 2010

Ian Oliver wrote:
> I've read several guides on how to secure mythweb, but I'm using
> mythbuntu and all my files seem to be in different places to what these
> guides assume. I also don't seem to have a .htaccess file anywhere.
>
> What's the easiest way to have open access from my 192.168.1.x network
> and a single user/password for external access?
>
> A pointer to a current guide would be useful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

sudo a2enmod
When prompted for what module you want to enable enter:
auth_digest
Create your password directory
sudo mkdir /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd

Create your password FILE
sudo htdigest -c /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords MythTV greg

Grant permissions to the new password file:

sudo chown www-data /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords

sudo chgrp www-data /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords
sudo chmod 640 /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords

sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

<Directory "/var/www/mythweb">
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AuthType Digest
  AuthName "MythTV"
  AuthUserFile /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords
  Require valid-user
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from 192.168.1.
  Satisfy any
</Directory>

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

You may have to change a few paths,but this is what I use..This allows
me to access over my lan without authoriziation, but is secure from the
net....

This was based on this how-to...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythWeb#WhyAnAnchor