[mythtv-users] Securing mythweb

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Feb 9 15:37:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:

> I've read several guides on how to secure mythweb, but I'm using
> mythbuntu and all my files seem to be in different places to what these
> guides assume. I also don't seem to have a .htaccess file anywhere.
>
> What's the easiest way to have open access from my 192.168.1.x network
> and a single user/password for external access?
>
> A pointer to a current guide would be useful.

Honestly, it much more secure to only allow SSH or OpenVPN from the outside
and use those to connect to the Mythweb server. It's also significantly
easier to set up for someone not used to sysadmin duties. SSH being about as
easy as it gets. For even more security, disable login/password auth and use
public keys. With SSH, just use port forwarding and you're good to go. When
you're local, it's not protected so you're OK to just use it.

Most of the guides I've seen send your password with plaintext over the
internet. You might as well not bother, IMO. If you really must do it that
way, at least set up SSL so you can use encryption.