[mythtv-users] PVR-350 no signal?

mythtv at splmail.nl mythtv at splmail.nl
Mon Feb 8 13:16:27 UTC 2010

Situation 2 it is! The cable company still broadcasts analog tv. So I plug
in the "coax" (composite?) cable direct on the PVR-350. And indeed, using
cat /dev/vdieo0 > test.mpg I am able to record video.

In MythTV backend I've defined an input called "cable". What shoud be the
rest of the settings here (e.g. "EIT" or "no grabber")? I've tried both
without luck, but I guess I'm missing something here?!

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:41:32 -0700, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 07 February 2010 03:33:18 pm George Mari wrote:
>> On 02/07/2010 02:35 PM, mythtv at splmail.nl wrote:
>> > Thx for the reply! The source is standard analog TV. I've gone
through
>> > the "input setup" numerous times, but don seem to get it working.
After
>> > connecting the card to the video-source I try to scan for channels,
but
>> > get 0% signal indicated.
>>
>> OK, when you say, "..standard analog TV", that could still mean a few
>> different things, so how about if I list the ways the PVR-350 can work,
>> and you can tell us which one corresponds to your situation.
>>
>> 1. The PVR-350 has a built-in, analog tuner.  This allows you connect a
>> TV antenna directly to it's RF input jack, and you can then, in theory,
>> tune OTA (over-the-air) broadcast signals.  I say in theory because
>> unless you've been living in a cave, you should have heard by now that
>> basically all OTA broadcast TV has switch to digital transmissions. The
>> PVR-350 cannot tune these digital broadcasts directly.  You may be able
>> to pick a handful of low-power TV stations broadcasting in your area
>> (Chicago has 2 or 3) but the takeaway here is that your not going to
get
>> anything useful by connecting an antenna to a PVR-350 in this day and
>> age.
>

> The OP is clearly not in the USA. I don't know what the over-the-are
> situation
> is in the Netherlands, but it's entirely possible he has some UHF analog

> channels available.
>

>> 2. If you have cable TV service, you can connect an analog cable to the
>> RF input of your PVR-350, and again, use the internal tuner to directly
>> tune at least the basic cable channels that are not encrypted by your
>> local cable service.  Be aware that many cable systems around the
>> country are moving away from analog cable to digital cable - the
PVR-350