[mythtv-users] Hardware resrouces required for s/w encode

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:39:15 UTC 2010

On 4 February 2010 14:25, Michael PARKER <michael.parker at st.com> wrote:
> Nick,
>
>> Have you already considered and ruled out the Huappauge HVR-1300?
>
> Good point - many thanks. My intention was to give the MythBox as much functionality as possible at
> time of build, precluding the possibility of not being able to buy PCI/PCIex1/?? tuner cards in the
> future, having a motherboard without the necessary slots etc. and being stuck with a non-upgradeable
> box.

Don't worry, you can have mine (all PCI here for MPEG-2/DVB-T/DVB-S)!

> Do you have any views on the ability of a modern quad core like the X4 605e to cope with the
> overhead of encoding the incoming analog stream into RTjpeg/MPEG-4?

No - I've been entirely hardware MPEG-2/DVB-based since I initially
started with MythTV in late 2004. All tuners still going strong.

However, when I was recording TV using a modified version of
VirtualDub on Windows about a decode ago, I was able to record 720i
and 480i content using the HuffYUV codec on a Celeron 1.3GHz with no
problems, so I really can't see you having problems now for standard
def captures with your chosen CPU.

Good luck,
Nick

--