[mythtv-users] Hardware resrouces required for s/w encode

Michael PARKER michael.parker at st.com
Thu Feb 4 14:25:37 UTC 2010

Nick,

> Have you already considered and ruled out the Huappauge HVR-1300?
>
> This card has onboard DVB-T and hardware MPEG-2 analog capture, so
> unless you are seriously thinking of using satellite in the future, it
> may be a less expensive alternative. One other thing to bear mind is
> that the HVR-4000 (and possibly the -1300 with its analog and DVB-T)
> has mutually exclusive digital tuners, so that it can't simultaneously
> record DVB-T and DVB-S/S2.

Good point - many thanks. My intention was to give the MythBox as much functionality as possible at
time of build, precluding the possibility of not being able to buy PCI/PCIex1/?? tuner cards in the
future, having a motherboard without the necessary slots etc. and being stuck with a non-upgradeable
box.

Do you have any views on the ability of a modern quad core like the X4 605e to cope with the
overhead of encoding the incoming analog stream into RTjpeg/MPEG-4?

Assuming that the codec(?) is multi-threaded, it should be a no brainer. My concern arises if the
codec is only able to run on a single core and one 2.3GHz core isn't man enough.

Cheers,

Mike