[mythtv-users] MythTV FE Help!!

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:23:41 UTC 2010

On 3 February 2010 09:51, Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've recently taken delivery of an Acer Revo 3610 nettop p.c. For the time being (until I have the hardware) I am going to use it just to play the media i already have on hard disk. The majority of this content is in a divx / xvid (.avi) format for best file size and mass storage. I will be connecting the media player to my TV and streaming the media over wireless. So far I have been able to mount network shares from my main p.c. (windows 7) and have the media available to the revo. However, I have come to the point where I am facing some problems.
>
> 1) I don't think that the wireless is connecting at 802.11n speeds as per the Acer Revo hardware. Is there anyway that I can check except for disk write speeds (that aren't that accurate). Is there any open source chipset drivers for the Revo and Ubuntu?

It may or may not have 11n support, depending on the wireless chipset
it actually shipped with:

http://www.theacerguy.com/forum/topic/aspire-revo-3610-wireless-80211n

> 2)I also don't think that VDPAU is working either. I have installed mythvideo for video playback and gone into the TV settings and set the playback profile to "VDPAU High Quality" but it doesn't make any difference, the CPU usage still bounces between 30% and 70% where reports have stated that with VDPAU enabled CPU will not exceed 15%. I also notice that there is no option to set VDPAU for mythvideo - it's only in the TV settings menu.

If it's the playback of standard definition DivX/Xvid media you are
referring to (encoded as MPEG-4 part 2 video), the GPU in the Revo
3610 does not have the necessary support for VDPAU acceleration of
this type of video (but it will accelerate MPEG-4 part 10 - h264 in
addtion to MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and VC-1/WMV9):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#NVIDIA_VDPAU_Feature_Sets

If you're using the internal player for MythVideo, the options you
configure in TV settings will carry across. If you're using an
external player (e.g. mplayer) you will need to ensure they have been
compiled with VDPAU support.

> And one other thing I've noticed, the system is idling at roughly 25% CPU usage - not good!

Does this CPU usage  drop if you exit mythfrontend?

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott