[mythtv-users] MythTV FE Help!!

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:51:08 UTC 2010

Hi Guys,

I've recently taken delivery of an Acer Revo 3610 nettop p.c. For the time being (until I have the hardware) I am going to use it just to play the media i already have on hard disk. The majority of this content is in a divx / xvid (.avi) format for best file size and mass storage. I will be connecting the media player to my TV and streaming the media over wireless. So far I have been able to mount network shares from my main p.c. (windows 7) and have the media available to the revo. However, I have come to the point where I am facing some problems.

1) I don't think that the wireless is connecting at 802.11n speeds as per the Acer Revo hardware. Is there anyway that I can check except for disk write speeds (that aren't that accurate). Is there any open source chipset drivers for the Revo and Ubuntu?

2)I also don't think that VDPAU is working either. I have installed mythvideo for video playback and gone into the TV settings and set the playback profile to "VDPAU High Quality" but it doesn't make any difference, the CPU usage still bounces between 30% and 70% where reports have stated that with VDPAU enabled CPU will not exceed 15%. I also notice that there is no option to set VDPAU for mythvideo - it's only in the TV settings menu.

3) The OSD is also a bit glitchy. It is clear that the GPU is doing nothing to help the OSD and presentation layers.

Important Info:

Graphics Driver: Nvidia 185.18.36
Ubuntu 9.10 with latest updates
Installed Packages: smbfs, mythtv, myth-plugins, myth-themes
Using internal media player
Connected Via 802.11n capable network

And one other thing I've noticed, the system is idling at roughly 25% CPU usage - not good!

On a side note, is Ubuntu the best OS to be using with MythTV on the Revo? Have you had any specific findings for this?

Pleas please please help me!!

Many Thanks in advance.

Tim Raphael
raphael.timothy at gmail.com