[mythtv-users] Launching XBMC from Mythtv (mythbuntu 9.10/ 0.22) [problems with shutdown option freezing]

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:09:45 UTC 2010

On 2 February 2010 11:19, Alessandro <alessandro.campobassi at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I'm having some sporadic issues with XBMC not quitting (locking up)
> when 'Quitting' from the UI.
>
> I am running Mythbuntu 9.10 with 0.22 of MythTV.
> I have modified my mainmenu.xml to launch XBMC.
>
> Launching and running XBMC works just fine - however, every now and
> then when I choose the Shutdown option in XBMC and then choose the
> Shutdown icon (which is set to 'Quit' in the XBMC system settings)
> often it just freezes the screen and I can't return to MythtTV
> mainmenu (actually whole UI is frozen  - and need to kill the xbmc
> process)
> I tried the other options (Suspend etc) - but they always freeze the UI.
>
> [snip]

Looks like much the same way I'm doing it, and I don't have any issues,
although I do tend to just kill XBMC.

Don't suppose it's relevant, but I launch it from a separate shellscript
(which I EXEC from the menu.), this is because I compiled XBMC from source
and needed a newer version of the samba libs than comes with debian 5. (so I
have to frob the LD_LIB_PATH for xbmc.)

I'm also running /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin, rather than /usr/local/bin/xbmc
(which does exist), I'm not sure why I'm doing this but there may have been
a good reason, might be worth seeing if you have this file, and running that
instead?

One other thing, do you have a power button spare on your remote? I have a
media center remote with a 'PC' power button on, I have this mapped to a
small script that kills mythfrontend. When I added xbmc I updated this to
pkill xbmc if it was running also, which saves me having to use the
'poweroff' option in XBMC.