[mythtv-users] Master backend with no capture card

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 07:36:09 UTC 2010

In article <4B6774AE.6080002 at edgehp.net>, Dale Pontius wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new server soon, and with terabyte drives so
> cheap, I'm looking at moving my Myth storage down to the server.  Since
> the server is also guaranteed to be running 24x7, I'd also like to move
> the Myth master backend to that machine

I considered this, but finally decided that I didn't want the
dependencies of mythtv to drive the version of Linux I used on the main
server. For instance, I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04 on my server, and
mythtv 0.22 doesn't work on this release. There isn't yet another Ubuntu
LTS release (due 10.04) so I'd either have to take my server to a non-LTS
release or stick with mythtv 0.21

I decided that I'd be changing backend hardware/kernel/etc. a lot and
wanted to decouple things.

Ian