[mythtv-users] HD PVR and IR transmitter for channel change (why)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 17 15:53:11 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 06:40 PM, Ramin K wrote:
> On 12/16/2010 3:21 PM, David McMillan wrote:

>> Ramin,
>> Did you install anything custom in Fedora 14 related to the hdpvr or
>> lirc related kernel modules?
>
> Nope, bone stock. I do have a recent kernel revision though and sudo
> modprobe lirc_zilog as well since I haven't figured out where to put
> that so it loads on boot.

Edit the /etc/rc/d/rc.local file. This is the last script run by the
boot process before X is started (this where you end up if you boot to
level 3).

This is a useful place for lots of "make it right" commands and scripts.
I put a number of 'service XXX start' commands here which don't like to
start up earlier because the system is not ready. For example, I start
ntpd and ntpdate from rc.local because it takes some time for the
network to properly get DNS working through my cableco (Rogers). Ntp
*always* fails if started from an rc5.d script position. I *think* it is
because the cable-modem drops to a sleep state.

Similarly, I start mythbackend from rc.local, so that both network *and*
mysqld have had a chance to stabilize.

I use modprobe here to ensure that the right stuff is set up and force
set the volume levels for the sound setup with amixer.

On my laptop, I set the trackpoint sensitivity and run xmodmap to set up
keys.

> I was actually surprised how well it worked out of the box so to speak.
> I struggled heavily with Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 originally. Rebuilding the
> kernel modules to recognize 4903 wasn't hard, but decided installing
> 2.6.37-rc via PPA woudld be easier to maintain as modules were updated
> in mainline Linux kernel sources. IR was a total mess under Ubuntu.
> After 20-30 hours of futzing with source code I decided I could live
> with an unfamiliar distro as long as it worked. :-)

Welcome to Fedora! Although Fedora is touted as 'bleeding edge', it
seems that the edge of the blade is always pointed AWAY from the hand.
Overall Fedora does not seem to fall into the regression trap, where
going forward breaks things which used to work.

(Instead, Fedora just includes new stuff which does not work! Or which
work, but are opaquely impossible to remove or turn off, but are not
useful or wanted...eg nepomuk and strigi.)

Geoff