No subject

Thu Aug 5 16:39:05 UTC 2010

version 1.0.16 ) and the database dump itself to replace mvythconverg with
mythconverg23 should do the trick.

3. /usr/local/bin/mythtv-setup and configure for new database and new
ports so I can run two instances of mythbackend, versions 0.20 and 0.23.

I am not sure where it will search for mysql.txt first, but I should be
able to figure that out from log files if I remove all existing instances.
I also assume at this stage mythtv-setup is not actually writing data and
will not touch existing mysql.txt files or the existing mythconverg
database until changes are saved.

Is it at this point the database upgrade occurs once the config is saved
from mythtv-setup ?

4. start /usr/local/bin/mythbackend with unique log file, PID file etc and
ensure it is using a unique mysql.txt for the correct database,
mythconverg23

5. start /usr/bin/mythfrontend version 23 on the frontend using its new
mysql.txt and configure port number, and check all functionality other
than recording, primarily being playback of existing recordings and plugin
media, including 1080p...which is what this effort is all for ;)

I will need to remove tuners i can foresee so that both mythbackends are
not trying to record, but I can't see any other pitfalls of going down
this 'staging' path so that I have adequate time to test all 23
functionality on the upgraded ( or possibly new, depending on the upgrades
success )

This should then give me the ability I hope to gradually if possible
migrate across, or at least take the wisdom learned from the staging
environment, so surprises are kept to a minimum upon live
upgrade...primary being in the untested recording department, which is
tolerable due to the existing content available.

any insights from others who may have some knowledge would be humbly accepted

cheers

rossco