[mythtv-users] SOLVED PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

emarkert at aim.com emarkert at aim.com
Mon Aug 9 02:32:01 UTC 2010

I have to say that I've not had the default firmware on my WRT54G for years.  When I first was trying to get Myth working with my PS3 I was running into all sorts of problems.  I tried enabling UPNP on my router to no avail.  What I finally realized is that the firewall on my myth system was blocking inbound traffic two ports from my PS3 as well as multicast traffic.  I found this by using the Firestarter firewall (switched to it from Guarddog because with FS you can see realtime events occurring).  The only modification that I've had to make was to my Myth system's firewall, enabling inbound traffic from my PS3 on two ports (1900 and 6544).  No modifications were needed to my DD-WRT enabled WRT54G.  My PS3 is connected, wirelessly, to the same net as my Myth system.

Firmware upgrades to your PS3 are not necessary unless you're using some really old version that was known to have issues with UPNP.  Of course, if you upgrade now you'll lose the "Other OS" option so update wisely.

My advice to others having issues with UPNP and PS3s is:

1.  First, ensure that a firewall on their Myth box isn't blocking their PS3.  If it is, you may find allowing traffic onto the two ports I mentioned will fix the issue.
2.  If your router is supported, upgrade to DD-WRT or OpenWRT.  I can't speak for OpenWRT (though I hear it is feature rich), DD-WRT offers a ton of extra capabilities above and beyond factory firmware.

Regarding wireless bandwidth.  I'd be surprised if your wireless bandwidth is being over burdened by UPNP.  I use my PS3 all the time without any noticeable issues with my other wireless devices.  Hell, I've even used a remote Myth frontend to watch live TV on a wireless notebook.  That said, the new version of DD-WRT has built-in bandwidth monitoring for your WAN, LAN, and WiFi networks.