[mythtv-users] SOLVED PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

Joe j.commisso at verizon.net
Mon Aug 9 00:31:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am replying to my own message because my list settings are for the
daily digest email, and I wanted to link this to the same thread.

So, just to clear up any confusion, I did NOT install an "Other OS".
I had the latest PS3 firmware and the "Game OS" was my environment.

As far as the Linksys, there was a multicast checkbox on the firewall page.
I tried it with multicast checked and unchecked and with and without the
firewall enabled.
None of it allowed the PS3 Game OS to "see" the mythtv backend on the
wireless LAN, which WAS out there.

Also, there was a page with a UPnP checkbox.
I tried checking that box and when I would go to the
Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Test
When I would go there, the UPnP would show up as "Available", if the
Linksys had UPnP checked.
But this did not help the "Video -> Search for Media Servers" to find
MythTV at all.
I think it just made the Linksys show up as a UPnP device, or as others
have said that it allowed UPnP forwarding.
Either way, the Linksys would NOT allow the PS3 to see (when searching
for Media Servers) the MythTV backend.

I installed DD-WRT, and after that the PS3, when searching for Media
Servers, would find MythTV backend.
It just worked.
I transcoded a cartoon, and was able to play it on my 720P/1080i HDTV
plasma.
It looked real nice and I didn't notice any video degradation at all.

The only thing was that my wireless-G hardware probably maxed out the
available bandwidth, because it kicked off my laptop, which is also
wireless. It kicked off my laptop from the wireless connection, while
the video was playing.
It was good to finally get this to work.
Now, I need to find a show that I want to record, and then we can watch
something we can really enjoy.

Thanks, this list is very active and helpful!

Now, someone suggested that I could edit the wiki to add my experience.
I did not know that.
I will try to do that sometime this week, if I have time.
If not, I'll try and do it soon.