[mythtv-users] Lost my backend, need new one!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Aug 8 11:38:13 UTC 2010

Ole Nissen wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> My backend let out its smoke, and dont do anything no more. I will need a
> new server for my backend, and it shouldn't draw to much current, but still
> be able to commercial flagging.
>
> I also have an old VIA epia acting as a NAS and router, this I also want to
> have included in my new server.
>
> To sum up, the server should do:
>
> Routing of my lan
> Usenet
> Squeezebox server
> mysql
> mythtv backend
> Serve webpages
> NAS
>
> I dont think those a very hard tasks, so will the following setup be
> sufficient, or be the best choice for me, with power consumtion in mind:
>
> Pentium E5300 2 MB (Intel Boxed)
> ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU motherboard
> Kingston ValueRAM hukommelse 2Gb DDR2 Sd

My advice: DONT use the same box for your router and your back end. Leave your
VIA EPIA as your router, load something like http://pfsense.org/ on it*.

You want your router to be available at all times and still working when your
Mythbox is undergoing upgrades/commflagging/etc.

It also makes good sense to have your router/firewall on a different box to
anything else as this provides an extra stage of isolation from the Internet. I
wouldn't want any of the boxes here to have direct access to the Internet.

*My box doesn't even have a disk in it. A 2GB CF card is more than ample. Draws 10W.

--

Mike Perkins