[mythtv-users] Comcast STB Firewire vs HDHomeRun

Chris DiLorenzo cdilorenzo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:48:40 UTC 2010

We're going to be moving in with my brother-in-law for a while.  The room we
are staying in will have a Comcast STB.  Right now, I have no idea if it has
firewire or not.  Let's assume it does.  I also have an HDHomeRun available.

Is there a significant advantage to using one over the other?  From what
I've read, the firewire port may not even be active and if it is all I'll
get are the unencrypted channels.  I can get the unencrypted channels from
the HDHomeRun.  Is there a chance I could get some of the encrypted channels
through the firewire?  Or is this one of these things I'll just have to try?

Thanks.