[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:08:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
> <jphekman at arborius.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video.  This may
>>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>
>> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
>> for around $20, right?
>
> If there are, I've never seen one.
>
> There are some s-video to HDMI solutions out there (usually for
> noticably more than $20), but I've never seen a converter for going
> the other way.
>
> VGA to S-video converters are more common, but still, you'd be better
> off selecting a front end system that has s-video out natively if
> that's what you want.

I've in the past used a cheapo ($3 I believe) vga->s-video cable to
get a console on servers to a 6" handheld tv at a place that charged
way too much for space to keep a monitor there...  It worked well,
although I never used it for graphics like the mythui, so I cannot
comment on how it looks with all of the fancy text and images on the
screen..  for 80x25 it was great though..