[mythtv-users] has anyone tried using this to capture HD

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Aug 5 14:53:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:03 AM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Justin Garrison <rothgar at 1n73r.net>
> wrote:
> > I think you might be confused on what selective output control actually
> > applies to. Selective output control was only approved for movies that
> are
> > going to be shown on TV while they are still also in theaters.
> > Cable/satellite companies are not allowed to use SOC for anything other
> than
> > that.
> > . . .
>
> You are talking about today.  I am worried about tomorrow.
>
> What is  stopping the FCC from approving selective output control with
> other types of content in the future?

That's my fear.  I would wager that the SOC ruling, though weaker than the
studios would have liked, was still considered a big win for studios.  Once
the technology is prevalent, they will lobby like mad to have more flexible
rules on its use, there was little point for them to fight that battle
now... better to get the tech into homes first.