[mythtv-users] IR Microcontroller -> LIRC Stack

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 1 16:15:50 UTC 2010

Salutations,
     I've finally gotten around to building and programming a
microcontroller to take care of all things IR related to mythtv, as an
added bonus it has facilities to turn on and of a PC based on a settable
alarm. Some other niceties are the ability to sense whether the PC
and/or blasted device actually turned on via I/O pins.  It has a fully
functional IR decoder capable of decoding RC5/RC6/Sony/NEC/DishNetwork,
and raw codes.  It can also 'blast' any of the protocols listed above.
The biggest problem I've stumbled across so far is getting the decoded
IR signals into the LIRC stack.  I looked at using LIRCs udp driver but
realized that mode2 is not exactly what I was looking for.  Mode 2 uses
a sequence of pulse/space time packets to represent a signal.
Unfortunately the microcontroller provides decoded values, though I can
change the controller to output that format it's not my ideal solution.
I know this is a tech heavy question, but is there a way to get decoded
IR codes into the LIRC stack without having to resort to a full blown
driver?  Did I misunderstand the way LIRCs udp driver works, i.e, can it
use more than mode 2?  I've been googling and reading for hours and just
haven't been able to lock down a good solution.  Any help, advice,
direction, input, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Calvin