[mythtv-users] HULU and screen blanking

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 04:10:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2010 04:49 PM, Johnny Walker wrote:

>>> I actually solved this one. When you add the launch for huludesktop to
>>> the menus - make it EXECTV instead of just EXEC.
>>>

>> Whoops - I'm told this 'ties up' a recorder - as it's intended for
>> launching programs that require a tuner.
>>
>> There is work underway on the screensaver support in mythtv. (shameless
>> plug)
>>

> Speaking of which, using the solution his new screensaver support uses
> inside your Hulu desktop start script would allow basically the kind of use
> you want.  See
> http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0beta3/xdg-screensaver.html and,
> specifically, the suspend command.  Order of calls would have to change (as
> you'd have to start Hulu desktop and /then/ call xdg-screensaver suspend .
>  Implementation is left as an exercise for the reader.  :)
>
> Mike

I can't help myself:

After you lauch HuluDesktop you can query xwininfo to get the
xwindowid as follows:

user at host%: xwininfo -name "Hulu Desktop" |grep id\:|cut -d' ' -f4

this can sent to xdg-screensaver to suspend the screensaver.

That's if you have xdg-utils installed.

-JohnnyJboss