[mythtv-users] HULU and screen blanking

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 13 23:26:56 UTC 2010

On 04/13/2010 04:49 PM, Johnny Walker wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Johnny Walker wrote:

>>> deactivate only stops the running screensaver (or resets the timeout).
>>>   You'd have to run that in a loop once every screensaver_timeout -
>>> a_few_seconds--or to prevent any potential issues, once every (
>>> screensaver_timeout / 2) - a_few_seconds , though that extra safety is
>>> basically unnecessary.
>>>
>>> xscreensaver-command -exit would work (but will also mean your screensaver
>>> is disabled until someone turns it back on, which might not work well even
>>> if you do that after hulu desktop exits).
>>>
>> I actually solved this one. When you add the launch for huludesktop to
>> the menus - make it EXECTV instead of just EXEC.
>>
> Whoops - I'm told this 'ties up' a recorder - as it's intended for
> launching programs that require a tuner.
>
> There is work underway on the screensaver support in mythtv. (shameless plug)

Speaking of which, using the solution his new screensaver support uses
inside your Hulu desktop start script would allow basically the kind of
use you want.  See
http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0beta3/xdg-screensaver.html
and, specifically, the suspend command.  Order of calls would have to
change (as you'd have to start Hulu desktop and /then/ call
xdg-screensaver suspend .  Implementation is left as an exercise for the
reader.  :)

Mike