[mythtv-users] HULU and screen blanking

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 20:49:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 04/13/2010 03:25 PM, Dave Day wrote:
>>>
>>> I have added the HULU Desktop menu item to myth and
>>> it works fine except that I have been unsuccessful in stopping
>>> the screen from blanking after about 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> I start Hulu Desktop from a shell script which
>>> uses
>>>
>>> xset -dpms
>>> xscreensaver-command --deactivate
>>
>> deactivate only stops the running screensaver (or resets the timeout).
>>  You'd have to run that in a loop once every screensaver_timeout -
>> a_few_seconds--or to prevent any potential issues, once every (
>> screensaver_timeout / 2) - a_few_seconds , though that extra safety is
>> basically unnecessary.
>>
>> xscreensaver-command -exit would work (but will also mean your screensaver
>> is disabled until someone turns it back on, which might not work well even
>> if you do that after hulu desktop exits).
>>
>>> to attempt to get the blanking under control but it is not effective.
>>>
>>> I would love to get this fixed.
>>
>> Well, just take the source code for Hulu desktop and modify it...  Oh,
>> wait...
>>
>> So, better solution, don't use Hulu.  :)
>>
>> Mike
>
> I actually solved this one. When you add the launch for huludesktop to
> the menus - make it EXECTV instead of just EXEC.

Whoops - I'm told this 'ties up' a recorder - as it's intended for
launching programs that require a tuner.

There is work underway on the screensaver support in mythtv. (shameless plug)

> Worked like a charm for me.

Um - huludesktop has documentation on disabling your screensaver -
caveat emptor: it didn't work for me either.

-Johnny