[mythtv-users] Question about tuner numbering and useage

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 30 01:17:47 UTC 2009

On 09/29/2009 08:43 PM, Matt Beadon wrote:
>> Do I need to remove all the tuners from both Master and Slave and then
>> setup each tuner again in the order I want them used?
> In the case of a combined BE/FE (my config) the above is the only way to
> specify the order that the tuners will be used.  I suspect the same is true
> for your setup.  Luckily it doesn't take very much time once you have the
> lineups etc setup properly.

The best (and, IMHO, quickest) way regardless of how many hosts you have
is exactly that.  All you need to do is the capture card portion of:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 (don't
delete video sources).

Note, however, it is /not/ the capture card order that's important.
It's the order in which you specify input connections that's important
(and this need not match the order in which you create capture cards).
I created my 2 capture cards on my master backend, then created the 2
capture cards on my remote backend, then connected one input on the
master backend, then connected the 2 inputs on my remote backend, then
connected the last input on my master backend.  Therefore, my system
records with cardid 1 then 3, then 4, then 2--but only because they
equate to cardinputid 1, 2, 3, 4, respectively.***

Mike

***The reason I chose that order is to better spread out filesystem
usage.  Having a single recording occurring is quite common, so the
master backend's filesystems will be used quite often.  Having 2
concurrent recordings occurs less often, so the remote backend's
filesystems will be used less frequently.  But since having 3 concurrent
recordings is more common than having 4, having the 2nd and 3rd
recording on the remote backend before falling back to the master
backend for the 4th means that my filesystems get about equal usage with
my schedules.