[mythtv-users] 0.22 MythVideo slow first time cover art displays

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 21:02:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 09/29/2009 03:19 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> So, the solution is for someone*** who thinks waiting until 0.23 for these
>> metadata features would be better to actually write a theme that doesn't use
>> any of the images (or uses just the poster images, like in 0.21-fixes).  If
>> the theme doesn't use the artwork, MythVideo/Watch Recordings doesn't
>> attempt to retrieve/scale/process it, so there's no delay.
>
> A workaround, but also not really the point of what I was saying.  Why
> include something in the release if it requires this type of
> workaround which essentially disables the feature?  I know it is
> probable that not every user will experience a delay or not everyone
> will find the lack of integrated metadata fetching in Watch Recordings
> a problem.  I was simply making an observation about including
> features that might appear incomplete to general users who likely
> don't have the patience that people more development oriented have
> given that it's supposed to be "release quality".

Are you clearing out your images and downloading new ones a lot?  I've
found that once I have everything scaled there isn't a slowdown, sure
I had to go through all my shows and movies once and that took a
while, but now that it is all scaled it is pretty quick, only time it
is slow is initially selecting a show or movie that I have never
viewed before, or if I change to a theme I haven't used before.  For a
fairly stable and static install it is very usable.