[mythtv-users] 0.22 MythVideo slow first time cover art displays

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:42:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/29/2009 03:19 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> So, the solution is for someone*** who thinks waiting until 0.23 for these
> metadata features would be better to actually write a theme that doesn't use
> any of the images (or uses just the poster images, like in 0.21-fixes).  If
> the theme doesn't use the artwork, MythVideo/Watch Recordings doesn't
> attempt to retrieve/scale/process it, so there's no delay.

A workaround, but also not really the point of what I was saying.  Why
include something in the release if it requires this type of
workaround which essentially disables the feature?  I know it is
probable that not every user will experience a delay or not everyone
will find the lack of integrated metadata fetching in Watch Recordings
a problem.  I was simply making an observation about including
features that might appear incomplete to general users who likely
don't have the patience that people more development oriented have
given that it's supposed to be "release quality".

> Or just use MythCenter or MythCenter-wide (both of which are distributed
> with current trunk/mythtv ) and don't use the images.****

Always an option and likely what I will do with my 0.22 system not
because of this feature but because I still use a non-wide screen and
there are few options for new themes for non-wide users.

> Really, I think the main problem here is not the images, but the lack of new
> people stepping up to create new MythUI-capable themes.  It just so happens
> that the people who have done the MythUI themes happen to like the metadata
> image stuff.  I also believe that once we have a MythUI-ed release out
> there, we'll get a /lot/ more people stepping up to create these themes.
>  So, we kind of have a catch-22 chicken-and-egg issue here.

I get what you're saying above but how does additional themes address
an issue of the metadata feature being either 1) slow, as some users
are beginning to report or 2) confusing, as my own experience has
shown in helping a friend build a 0.22 system (this relates to the
Watch Recordings use of fanart).  A new theme that uses these features
will not change how they are implemented (no background download, no
integrated Watch Recording fetching of metadata).

Side note: This may just all be some growing pains because I don't
recall there being any features of Myth before that changed depending
on which theme you were using.  Certainly makes things more
interesting.

Kevin