[mythtv-users] Question

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:11:24 UTC 2009

> So what Nvidia card offers the most features?  All HD and full VDPAU
> support?  Anyone have one they really like?  I see some new ones ( 260 etc..
> ) that I dont understand the features on.  260 vs 9800 etc..... now that
> they have changed the naming convention.  Again, looking to future proof a
> bit and want the easiest HD setup. I see some 8600GT cards for a good price.
>  Looks like they would have full support for HD and all features?

See the wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU. Basically it can't be
anything before the 8xxx series cards. The naming convention hasn't
changed much. The first number indicates the CPU generation. The 2nd
number generally indicates the powerfulness within that generation.
Rather than going to 10xxx, they opted restart the counter and they
went with 2xx. If you are comparing across generations you really need
to see some specific benchmark comparing cards because you can't say
which is more powerful. Also note that most of the crunching power in
the higher end cards is dedicated to the 3D gaming needs. So for
mythtv and VDPAU there is no need to get a more powerful card. You are
just wasting money, and electricity. The only cards with limitations
are the lower tier cards I mentioned before, the 8400/9400 and below.
Their only limitation is the the most powerful deinterlacer. If you
get anything from a 8500 or 9500 and up you will be able to do all of
the VDPAU capabilities.