[mythtv-users] Question

markhsa markhsa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:49:37 UTC 2009

On 09/29/2009 09:41 AM, Johnny wrote:
>> Now I want to try out .22 ( SVN I guess for now )
>> I see that the avenard repo for Ubuntu looks to be very popular.  Pre-built
>> packages would be nice.
>>
> A stable release of .22 is expected out in the next couple of weeks.
> So you may want to hold off until it is released. Then you can run
> mythbuntu 9.10 with mythtv .22.
>

>> -What Nvidia Vid card is safe?  9800?  Better?  What would you purchase for
>> VDPAU and future-proofing a bit?
>>
> The 9800 is overkill. The 8400/9400 and below typically can't do the
> highest end VDPAU deinterlacer (Advanced 2x) on HD material. Many
> people are happy to use another one (like Temporal 2x). If you want
> all of the VDPAU deinterlacers with HD then you want to go with
> 8500/9500 and up. You generally won't find fanless cards beyond a x500
> or x600 model.
>

>> What would you say the most stable distro to use is now?    32 or 64 bit?
>>
> That depends on what you mean by stable, e.g. "I don't want anything
> to change or update" or "I don't want it to crash". Ubuntu seems to be
> the most popular so it is generally easier to find help with a given
> problem. The mythbuntu guys do a good job of making it really easy to
> setup a mythtv system. They do update every 6 months, but I like that
> about Ubuntu. I like having the latest packages. Others prefer
> something like CentOS that rarely updates. I would rather have newer
> software and the occasional headache to get something working vs
> having older software and the occasional headache trying to hammer
> something new into it (like your HD-PVR). As far as 32 vs 64 bit, you
> can take your pick. There used to be no way to get Flash on 64 bit but
> there is a version of that now.

Thanks for the answers.
So what Nvidia card offers the most features?  All HD and full VDPAU
support?  Anyone have one they really like?  I see some new ones ( 260
etc.. ) that I dont understand the features on.  260 vs 9800 etc.....
now that they have changed the naming convention.  Again, looking to
future proof a bit and want the easiest HD setup. I see some 8600GT
cards for a good price.  Looks like they would have full support for HD
and all features?