[mythtv-users] HD Streams on 802.11N (with a HDHomeRun)

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Sep 28 01:52:36 UTC 2009

> After that, I'll never trust wifi for anything even vaguely important.

That's my thought as well. And I live in the sticks. Well, for now anyway.
It's building up fast here.

For the HDHR link to the backend, I would go wired. That way, you can
believe in your recordings even if the entire 2.4Ghz band gets flooded while
you are recording. I tried using G to stream a TV station from the HDHR to
my laptop just using VLC. It worked for a bit, then another computer on the
network wanted data and it got all choppy. N could probably do it, but you
still have the issue that only one computer can transmit at a time. So if
another system, or even another network, needs to transmit while you are
recording.... poof there goes the recording. The HDHR doesn't have a lot of
buffer space, and it's UDP, so if you drop a packet, it's gone. When
transferring recordings between the backend and frontend, you can
retransmit. So wireless might be OK there.

For the frontends, try it. Why not? But be prepared for it not working. I
use wireless for my laptop to get on the internet. It works well for that.
Anything important goes over wired. It helps that I had access to the house
as it was being built though, so I have more wire in the walls than I have
any idea what to do with.