[mythtv-users] Mplayer help + "play with" menu ?

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Sep 27 04:17:52 UTC 2009

Can mplayer switch between audio devices during playback like VLC can? For
example I use mplayer with "-ao alsa:device=plug=dmix6 -channels 6" as part
of the cmd and it works fine of course but I'd like to switch to -channels 2
and device=default if I am going to switch to headphones, as I find myself
doing quite often due to family going to sleep or what have you. In VLC I
have my remote button set to --key-audiodevice-cycle and so I can go from
5.1 to stereo, but in mplayer I can't figure out how to do this without
closing the video, changing the command and running the video again
(obviously a pain in the butt then having to go back to the point in time I
was watching etc.).

Also, is there anything in the works like a "Play with" menu for Mythvideo?
ie., Hitting Menu on the item would bring up a few options that have been
set in preferences or something, and one could open the file with the
internal player/vlc/xine/etc. Just curious.

Thanks
Bob