[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:49:00 UTC 2009

> My nvidia-settings-190.36 appears to support this:

Yes it does, I didn't realize that I was still actually using the 180
version of nvidia-settings, because Jean-Yves didn't use to package it
in his repository. I compiled from source and it worked perfectly with
190.36. It is in Jean-Yves repository now so it shouldn't be a problem
for others in my situation. There is a slider for it in the
nvidia-settings GUI or you can add it to your ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
file like this:

0/OverscanCompensation[TV-0]=45

where TV-0 is the display device. It works really well. I have been
able to reduce my menu back to normal size and disable the scaling in
the mythtv GUI. My only complaint is that for my set the overscan
seems to be proportional to the dimensions of the set. So the actual
width overscanned in the horizontal dimension is 4/3 of the height in
the vertical dimension. Since this settings is applied universally in
the vertical and horizontal dimension my set it still slightly
overscanned in the horizontal direction, or I could underscan it in
the vertical direction and have the full horizontal.