[mythtv-users] Confirming tuner choice

Jeff Jensen jjensen at apache.org
Fri Sep 25 02:55:24 UTC 2009

Hi, I'm about to setup my first DVR PC system (replacing an existing DVR).
I've decided to use MythTV, and need to choose the tuner.  Currently mainly
for ATSC reception.

My server is a 3.3G hyper-threaded CPU, 1G RAM, has no PCI Express slots,
and runs Fedora 11.  So I need either a PCI or network option.

I'm a noob to these cards...I've been learning from the Myth docs, wiki,
googling, and user maillist archives.  From that, I've been focusing on the
Hauppauge HVR 1600, pcHDTV 5500, and HD HomeRun.  As usual with most
products, some of the doc info seems to be a bit outdated compared to
writings in the user list, so I am not fully sure...

With the more recent user archive messages, I've concluded that most people
would choose HD HomeRun over most other options.  It seems there were
earlier problems (well, problems with them all actually!), but it was
strongly recommended "lately".

Is that a fair conclusion, or arguable?  I am willing to spend up to about
250 for the tuner - would you get that or recommend something else?