[mythtv-users] Network terminals, regulation, and regulation avoidance

Joe Votour vulturej at vulturesnest.net
Wed Sep 16 14:57:23 UTC 2009

Quoting Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>:

> Another prong for an 'attack' might be to try and get the FCC to
> mandate that any provider of encrypted services makes available a
> CAM/CI card for the service. Over here in the UK we have a similar
> situation with Sky - they use their own encryption and control the
> entire system. They control who gets a slot in the EPG, and I
> believe they have the receiver boxes set up so that it's difficult
> to use any channels not in the EPG (so you only get channels
> 'approved' by Sky). You *have* to use a Sky receiver as they don't
> supply CI cards to decode the signal with anything else - and so
> they can get away with charging extra for PVR, extra for HD, extra
> for this that and the other.
>
> OK, it still leaves you in a situation where you have to pay extra
> for each CI card - but at least it means you cab buy/rent a card and
> use it in any receiver.
>
> I would anticipate a strong and dirty fight back from the media
> industries, but it might be worth a try. From what I've read lately,
> it looks like your FCC might actually be starting to think about the
> consumer (at least a little) unlike our useless OfCom (err, we
> usually spell that OfCon because they are a useless con who seem to
> be interested only in supporting their chums in industry).
>
> --

That CAM/CI card would be CableCard, but there are no modules that
will work in a Linux PC (or non-OEM Microsoft Media Center PC) yet.
Microsoft has announced that they will be loosening the rules, so that
Windows 7 will allow you to use a third-party CableCard receiver
without requiring an OCUR BIOS, but things will still be DRM'ed in
software.

Given that CableLabs (the "standards" committee for major U.S. cable
operators) states that CableCard have tons of "security", it is highly
unlikely that an open platform will have official CableCard support.

But, the U.S. cable industry needs something FCC-approved until they
can cram Tru2Way down our throats.

-- Joe